What is Six Sigma Certification
As Six Sigma is becoming yet another buzzword in the world of professional certifications, more and more project management professionals find themselves confused as to what Six Sigma Certification is. In this article, we will clarify what is Six Sigma certification.
What is Six Sigma Certification?
Generally Speaking, Six Sigma is a process and quality management methodology that aims to decrease the percentage of defects in the process output. It can be applied either to manufacturing or any other industry that has products or services as their output. Six Sigma professionals work in small but efficient teams to achieve expected results. Six Sigma sets high targets in improving process output that require collecting data and analyzing data, and implementing changes to improve the processes to achieve visible and quantified results. This is achieved by identifying and measuring defects in a process, and then systematically eliminating them, which needs to improved outputs, increased customer satisfaction, reduced costs and increased profits.
Sigma Six projects are carried out by Six Sigma certified teams, where each team member has his/her role and tasks. These roles are Champion, Black Belt, Lean Black Belt etc – according to Six Sigma certifications.
Here's Six Sigma Certification map.
Six Sigma Belts:
- Black Belt: Leads problem-solving projects. Trains and coaches project teams.
- Green Belt: Assists with data collection and analysis for Black Belt projects. Leads Green Belt projects or teams.
- Master Black Belt: Trains and coaches Black Belts and Green Belts. Functions more at the Six Sigma program level by developing key metrics and the strategic direction. Acts as an organization's Six Sigma technologist and internal consultant.
- Yellow Belt: Participates as a project team member. Reviews process improvements that support the project.
- White Belt: Can work on local problem-solving teams that support overall projects, but may not be part of a Six Sigma project team. Understands basic Six Sigma concepts from an awareness perspective.
What is Six Sigma Certification Process?
Six Sigma certification process may vary significantly between organizations as there is no sole certifying body responsible for Six Sigma credentials and certification process. Most of Six Sigma professionals get certified within their organizations, and the process is managed by their employers. Six Sigma in-house certification process is also extremely convenient for candidates in a way that it ensures that the company will need their skills and expertise after they receive the credential.
Therefore, companies who consider introducing Six Sigma process management approach within their organizations should consider studying this aspect and clarifying for themselves what is Six Sigma certification process. This way, they can receive the utmost benefit of Six Sigma certification approach and process outcome management tools.